Hello Folks! The news can bring you down, no doubt about it.. Today we are going to give to you “Encouraging News!” One of our members, Bardee Hubka, sent us this gem, written by our own Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield. Enjoy good news for a change!
(1) The panda is no longer an endangered species.
(2) The “ocean clean-up project” plans to clean up 40% of ocean plastics starting this year.
(3) China announced plans to end the ivory trade in their country.
(4) U.S. Veteran homelessness has declined by 50% in the last 10 years.
(5) The Ice-Bucket Challenge provided A.L.S. research enough money to identify a gene associated with the disease.
(6) China put a ban on new coal mines and 15% of their economy will use renewable energy by 2020.
(7) The manatee is no longer on the endangered species list.
(8) The Columbian government and F.A.R.C. rebels sign a Peace Agreement ending a war that left 7 million dead or homeless.
(9) A drone called “Juno” flew over 445 million miles to orbit Jupiter and learn about the origin of our Solar System.
(10) Canada protected 85% of the Great Bear rainforest, part of the world’s largest temperate rainforest.
(11) Measles has been eradicated from North, Central and South America.
(12) Malawi saw its HIV rate among children drop by 67%.
(13) 20 countries created 40 protected marine parks covering an area the size of the U.S.A.
(14) Israel produces 55% of its freshwater from the sea turning the desert into farmland.
(15) An ebola vaccine was developed by Canadians with a 100% success rate.
(16) World hunger has reached it’s lowest point in 25 years.
(17) Tiger numbers are on the rise for the first time in 100 years.
(18) After more than a century Einstein’s theory of gravitational waves has proven correct.
(19) About 90% of Costa Rica’s electrical grid now runs on renewable energy.
(20) Indian planted 50 million trees in 24 hours with 800,000 volunteers.
“How do you like them tomatos?…..Chris Hadfield